6.12.2006
Beckett's Relevance Lives On
The discovery of a new Samuel Beckett play, and its utter pertinence to postmodern living, suggests that the phenomenally gorgeous Irish playwright's ability to continue interpreting the world hasn't diminished, regardless of his death in 1989. As the narrator of Molloy (who may or may not be Molloy himself) says, "water rises in proportion as it drowns you and you would do better, at least no worse, to obliterate texts than to blacken margins, to fill in the holes of worlds till all is blank and flat and the whole ghastly business looks like what it is, senseless, speechless, issueless misery." Clearly this new play could easily be or not be the work of Molloy himself, who may or may not remind us of Beckett, at least in the sense that Beckett is a playwright of some capability and the narrator of Molloy may also be named Molloy! If you get my drift.
To quote again: "In other words, or perhaps another thing, whatever I said it was never enough and always too much. Yes, I was never silent, whatever I said I was never silent." I think that really says it all.
