6.10.2006
High School Majors
The "A-plus-plus" bill, which is being introduced by Florida governor Jeb Bush, suggests that you're never too young to decide what you want to do with the rest of your entire life. Besides the name, which is clearly insane, is this really a good idea? It took me until my third year of university to decide what I wanted to do for my degree. If I had to have made the decision earlier, I would have gone into a completely different field for all of the wrong reasons (good grades as opposed to potential growth and interest). Choosing my major was only possible when I had a better sense of who I was and what was really important to me, and the process of this discovery was one of the most enjoyable in my life. Young people are intelligent decision makers -- that's not the issue here -- but they should have a bit of time to explore before they're railroaded into a career. Is this plan A-plus-plus or Zee-minus?
AFTERTHOUGHT: How about elementary school majors? The slippery slope of Bush's plan is wacky. Tracing his logic to its extreme would make the majority of men firemen and the majority of women dancers (or you get the picture).
