6.14.2006
The Placing of a Space
Salon.com has just introduced their new Literary Guide to the World (ad. req.). The idea is that people can consult the guide when they are travelling to a place to find out about and read its various literary representations. Salon journalist Hillary Frey further explains her motivation for creating the site: "I wanted to take in something that seemed better suited to my destination. Not a travel guide -- those I had already read and dog-eared. Rather, a book that could thrill and educate me all at once, a book that would enhance my visit rather than distract me from it." This is brilliant! A few years ago I took a grad class on the literature of New York, and it gave me this great insider's perspective that made my subsequent trip so much better. Getting hopelessly lost in the subway was a much more meaningful experience.
