8.28.2007

 

Meet Me for Some Anarchy, Wink, Wink.

If this isn't a government spook set-up, I don't know what is. The recent outcry over the police in Montebello Quebec using agents provocateurs to try and spur peaceful protesters to violence has made me a tad suspicious of any mention of "anarchists" in the media (especially any on FOX newscast). The first time I remember hearing of anarchists in recent times was at the WTO summit in Seattle, and there the context was a little different. In some peoples' interpretation, the unpredictability of masked, stone-throwing bandidos effectively shut down the first day of the summit, doing what all the organized, permit-required protest in the world could not.

Bill Clinton, then president, was very careful to draw a distinction between good protest (i.e. marching around waving placards) and bad (i.e. getting nasty on a Starbucks). Maybe all Bill was saying, was give peace a chance... to enable unrestricted international trade. Maybe all the anarchists were saying, was we gave that a chance, and we got Reaganites. What I really wonder, though, is whether the more chaotic WTO action merely paved the way for the emergent new form of "controlled" anarchy we saw in Montebello. I can see it now, the evil geniuses sitting around the Heritage Foundation white-board, wondering, how can we use chaos to our advantage....

Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home