7.04.2006

 

Unexpected Futures, Unseemly Presents

It's been awhile since I've posted anything from Wired, but this quirky Mobius review of London Art School shows playfully deals with some of the nitty gritty themes and questions facing students (all students) entering the real world: "A lot of this work won't go anywhere, won't sell -- and what could be more luxurious than that? Capitalism is at its most glorious when it's at its most inefficient, over-productive, wasteful and absurd." I remember the sense of optimisim I had when I graduated from English, all of those novels I am still yet to write. Then I had to get a job at Future Shop...

The article also makes fun stabs at the various departments it reviews: "Fashion and product-design departments are positive and optimistic, keen to sell their wares, to clinch deals.... Fine art departments, in stark contrast, reek of sex, death and despair." Ah touché Mobe-ster, touché. I wonder what English departments would reek of in such settings? Metre, deconstruction and dust?

Anyway, as the dust settles, Mobius makes an interesting point, one that has implications for things like wordcrush: "Lots of people seem to want to know what's going on in art students' heads -- almost as though it was a glimpse into the future of Britain itself." Though I wouldn't go so far as to claim that lots of people visit this site, it's the transitionary space between theory and practice that compels much of my blathering. It's the need to loose this brain from its jar, as unseemly as the results may be.

Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home