7.05.2006

 

Pandamerica

One of my many bones to pick with this crazy, mixed-up world is the way that in North America adults have been absolved of so much responsibility when it comes to growing up to become critically thinking, socially responsible citizens. I just saw an ad for the new smash hit summer comedy Little Man and I think if you see one movie this year and you want your IQ to drop by 30 points when you see that one movie, then this is the the one for you. It's so good because it offers a chance for you see your inner idiocy literalized on the big screen. You see -- and this is really clever -- its like a grown person, but he's a baby! It's just like you're famous! Plus you get to spend money to be mocked! It's win-win! Trust me! Exclamation point!

There have been so many good critiques of this trend, but I am particularly fond of this sculpture by Charles Ray (NSFW) and this article that makes mention of the 35:10 rule, which they use in Indian call centres when dealing with Americans. It is frightening that you can have a populous of economically productive, unquestioning dupes, but on the other hand, I think that promoting a culture of ignorance in the wealthy nations is a great way to level the international playing field. Ultimately this behaviour has to catch up with its consequences. North America is going the way of the Panda. And WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!

P.S. As indicated by my ironic, five-exclamation-point salute, I'm not trying to be an alarmist here. I like to veg out as much as anyone, but I do have a problem when the alternatives are made to look so unappealing. How many smash hit movies are there about non-violent smart people? Aren't Pandas cute, ya Panda?

Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home