6.22.2006
Loopy Logic Links Lots of... Links
Thus forming an internet of computers! A couple of days ago I posted an article by Timothy Taylor which discussed the soullessness of the corporate body. Then yesterday I talked briefly about Miru Kim, who photographs herself naked in NYC to participate in nature's reclamation of manmade detritus. I'd have never have put the two together without having seen this Salon article on the conceptual artist/activist/professor Natalie Jeremijenko (Ad.Req.). She fuses art and science in an effort to help species recover.
Phase one of her latest project involves floating buoys in the Hudson river that light up every time a fish swims by so that you can feed them special food that cleans the PCBs from their bloodstream. Like Miru Kim's work, this links the human and nature; as Jeremijenko says, "by scripting a work where we share the same kind of food with fish, I'm scripting our interrelationship with them." Phase Two involves selling these buoys to start a corporation, and this is where Timothy Taylor comes in: "Jeremijenko is selling the buoys to collectors. With the money, she plans to form a corporation called Ooz Inc. -- zoo spelled backward -- and put the fish on the board. That way the fish, as shareholders, will acquire personhood, and have a say in the preservation of their grungy habitat." There's lots more of this innovative and loopy logic in the Salon article if you're interested.
I never meant it to happen this way, but this blog is actually helping me make more sense of the mad mad world. It's all finally happening for me!
