6.20.2006

 

Adding Soul to Corporate Bodies

BLOOEGH! That's the correct transcription of the sound of vomiting that my friends and I decided on in high school. This sound is not only appropriate to the twenty beers I drank last night, but also to the feeling produced by the new "corporate storytelling" marketing trend I just read about, "where the consultants tease out the narrative strands that may be woven together into a compelling company or product 'story.'" Among other interesting things, the article explains that "In promising a product-driven transformation, corporate storytelling invariably deploys the language of spiritualism." Freaky deaky.

It's nifty the way the essay's author Timothy Taylor traces out his own personal narrative strands because this rhetorically drives a wedge between the production of the personal and the corporate bodies. If you wanted to get deconstructive about it, and I don't, you could even say that Taylor's narrative sells him as a loveable, corporate-resisting, Vancouverite, which in turn spins around to offer an alternative, palatable mode of being in the face of the literally soulless corporate body. You could do that, but you drank too much beer last night and BLOOEGH!

Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home