6.30.2006

 

How to Start a Magazine the Third Time

Like a zombie under a voodoo curse, Radar Magazine just keeps coming back for more. Now on its third reincarnation, the pop cult mag... whoa, I just slipped into adspeak, this thing must be powerful... seeks to reach out to young urban professionals by "revealing the somewhat seamy underbelly of Disney World employment" and offering "an exposé about Tom Cruise and Scientology." Wow. That's so hip. Who ever heard of Tom Cruise bashing? I don't even need a magazine to do that. I can just watch his latest interview: he does it to himself. I think I'll start a blog that bashes all of the media's cliché bashing of celebrities. Three... two... one... done.

AFTERTHOUGHT: My new magazine, called People Two, will feature human interest stories about celebrities. No red Carpets, no scandals, no self-satisfied irony, no voyeurism and only passing mentions of names. Sample Story: "Actor Discusses Role of Religion in Hollywood." Or try this one: "Singer and Mother Deals with the Anguish of an Absent Father." The pages will be a matte finish, for classiness, and the covers will feature anything but big pictures of famous people. In a word, it will be the most boring magazine ever, because when it comes down to it, celebrities are empty vessels.

Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home