6.26.2006
The Busted Hip Generation
I've been known to slag the Baby Boomers from time to time, but maybe it's just because I haven't walked a mile in their shoes. Or even better, maybe I should try walking a mile in their "empathy suit" a device which simulates reduced tactile sensation, stiff joints, a paunchy belly and cataracts (reg.req.). For a huge change, the Globe and Mail is turning the spotlight on the Me Generation, those aging hipsters who ask themselves now, "How did Cat Stevens' universal Peace Train get so easily derailed?" How indeed. "Outside, I've grown old. People call me ‘sir.' But I still feel as if I'm in my 20s or 30s." I know the feeling. Because I'm wearing my empathy suit.
Here are some random thoughts: The world is an empathy suit designed to simulate the brain of people like George Bush. Google is an empathy suit designed to simulate a world where puns and ambiguity don't exist. What empathy suits have you been forced into today?
