7.20.2006
More Anarchy!
"It was a pearling record, full of brio, swagger and the addictive little elements that kicked off with its first line - 'I'll tell you what I want/ what I really, really want' - and peaked with the mysterious claim that what its authors were after was a 'zig-a-zig-ah'." That's right. I'm posting on the Spice Girls, or more accurately "Girl Power as Anarchism," a Guardian article that discusses the long-term layers that those peppy pop princesses plied upon post-feminism (five times fast: GO!)
I actually like the way that this article puts a twist on the all-too easy criticism of the Gals. The article responds to the usual argument, which runs something like "post-feminism revealed as a busted flush: five supposedly empowered starlets whose diminutive nicknames and push-up bras suggested patriarchal business as usual." Instead, columnist John Harris claims that "If the non-guitar end of the pop market now seems to be dominated by vacuous drones, the Spices - not least when they fired their manager Simon Fuller in 1997, an act of quite splendid self-sabotage - looked like something close to anarchists."
Okay, that last bit might be pushing it a bit, though I suppose they did throw off the oppressive shackles of success rather quickly in ditching Fuller. Regardless of how far you want to take the argument, I think that the fact that an utterly mainstream group could bring feminist (and anarchist?) debate to the world's attention has some value. It's a hell of a lot better than us irony-toting academics are doing most of the time. Even the likes of the übernasty Ann Coulter are succeeding in communicating their views. Is it time we took a lesson from the supposed masses, rather than continuously pooh poohing their stupidity? Even if these people bring the wrong message to the fore, at least they're opening the floor.
Love the collage... Hate to dumb down the entry, but did you hear that Scary Spice is marrying EDDIE MURPHY? No word of a lie. I figure my voracious consumption of such entertainment junk news is my way of being an anarchist in the academic machine. What do you think?
Pure anarchy pd. Throw those wrenches.
Eddie and Scary? Good Lord! We saw her in Rent, and she was, uh... recognizable? I need to apologize too; I hate to smart up the Spice Girls.
Post a Comment
<< Home

