7.10.2006

 

Cronenberg Curates Warhol Exhibit

The only thing funner than famous hipsters is other famous hipsters talking about them. It pulls them out of their own self-absorbed headspace and allows them to demonstrate a little of that perception that supposedly made them cool in the first place. That's exactly what you'll get in this David Cronenberg CBC interview, where he discusses the new Art Gallery of Ontatio exhibit "Andy Warhol/Supernova: Stars, Deaths and Disasters 1962-1964" which focuses on Andy's death and celebrity obsessions in his early career. Cronenberg notes of Warhol that his grungy Pittsburg childhood spawned a lifelong love affair with celebrity glam: "he could never be the centre of that universe so he created his own Hollywood. And I suppose, ironically and perfectly, he then found himself being courted by the real stars of Hollywood. To me that makes him an existential hero."

Shocking Revelation: "Of course, as people later found out, he was very much a practising Catholic. He certainly didn’t talk about it. That was his real secret – not being gay, not being an artist – he was a closeted Catholic." Yeah, I didn't find out until 2006.

Comments:

I hate to admit it, but the exhibit is brilliant. I may be bias because of my unabashed love for and wetdreaming about David, but honestly, the guy did a great job talking about Warhol. He wasn't just the guy who painted a soup can, he also painted car crashes and suicides. Right up Cronenberg's alley. Plus, he qualifies the existential hero statement too. Actually, I think Judy Butler should start talking about Warhol. She would love him.
"All my films are artificial, but then everything is sort of artificial. I don't know where the artificial stops and the real starts." Andy Warhol.

 

Post a Comment



<< Home